Hundreds of notes are being published on HackMD every day and viewed by tens of thousands of people. In this community, there are awesome posts that may ring to your questions or challenge your assumptions.
With more active SEO recently implemented, you can find these great contents via search engines. Moreover, we will allocate content by topics and make them more accessible to you on HackMD, without interrupting your regular workflow. In doing so, your published notes will be discovered by others more readily.
This will not be a single story but a long journey. However, we will lay down the first block soon.
Have you noticed the little tweaks at the upper-right corner of the editor?
As the default permission set to “Only me” can read and edit for notes created in My Workspace, HackMD is still a product born out of the eagerness to share one’s thoughts with the world. So we has made the “Share” button bigger and more catchy. Press it more often to share what you care about with other people.
We have relocated the permission note into the Sharing menu. You can get how others may or may not access your note in a concise sentence.
Now notes’ permissions are set to only you can read and write so you don’t have to worry about their accidentally seen by strangers.
On the async hand, now users have to sign in first to comment on a published note. You can change this setting at the Sharing menu.
Now HackMD more actively sends metadata of published notes to search engines. People around the world have a greater chance to discover your published notes than before. Keep writing, keep publishing!
- Stay relevant: now you can sort full-text search results by relevance and we’ve made it the default sorting option.
- Stay relevant when back online: if you were the only one connected to the note and happened to lose connection, when you are back online, HackMD will write your work during disconnection back to the note.
- Update Permalink via API: very handy for those who publish notes on HackMD.
- Sometimes you would like better legibility: we added an option to auto-wrap in code blocks. You can add a
!at the end of the name of the programming language manually, too.
- Fix: we fixed various issues to ward off XSS insecurities. Thanks to our user maple3142 and @splitline for reporting these vulnerabilities. HackMD has become more secure thanks to your efforts.
- Fix: the cursor position now correctly lands at the end of the next line after closing the menu of a code block. Thanks @markz for reporting this bug.
- Fix: mermaid rendering height error in Firefox. Thanks @pnkfelix for reporting this bug.
Many of Team/Billing admins have been applying for reimbursement every month. We don’t like bureaucracy either.
To reduce the paperwork to once per year, now you can pay annually and enjoy a nice discount.
You can change from billing monthly to yearly at any time, but only until the end of the yearly billing cycle if you’d like to change it back.
- Number it or not: we improved the contextual menu to the code block to choose adding line number more aptly.
Team Admins can now create a link to invite new members to the team and don’t have to know their emails or usernames beforehand.
Invite link works best with large organizations and when new members come frequently and regularly.
Generate one and pin it to the Slack/Discord channel of your docs team.
- You can now switch between match only titles and tags or full-text search. With a specific scope, comes more accurate results. 👣👣 🔍
- In the meantime, at Zapier, you have got new triggers and actions:
- Trigger: Get Team Notes
- Get Team Note
- Get My Note
- Create Team Note
- Update Team Note
- Fix: uploaded images are properly restored when restoring notes from Trash.
HackMD has spoiler alert at the block level (begins with
:::spoiler [optional title], in case you don’t know), and now you have its inline counterpart.
Clap words between
|| and they will be masked in View mode until clicked.
Handy for making customized flashcards, even better with the API to automatically append new words to the note.
Speak of the API, it has got some updates.
You can now change note permissions in bulk with the Update endpoint. This can be useful for Team Admins and in cases, for example, when you need to un-publish numerous notes.
- Fix: scrolling out of sync in Both Mode when encountering an opened Spoiler block with list items inside.
- Fix: a bad feedback when creating an API token without giving it a name.
- Large notes: now can be correctly indexed and searched in full-text search.
- Fix: default note permission in Enterprise Edition now respect the server config.
- Fix: notes transferring between teams and users now can be correctly indexed and searched in full-text search.
- Reduce unnecessary API calls in full-text search.
- Fix: a bug in the full-text search indexer which falsely remove records.
Now you can search in note contents besides titles and tags in paid Workspaces.
We are collecting user feedback regarding search experience. Please share your thoughts ↗️
- Fix: now only team admins see the add team member shortcut button.